Update: A comprehensive review can be found on Syfy Haven.
This is going to be short because I’m off to the Navy game (not a victim of the shutdown, thanks to a private donor) this morning.
For a show that gave us “The Farmer” this episode set the bar for creepiest because of the creepy laughs. Seriously. The targets in this episode were children and between that, the laughs, and them singing “Ring around the Rosie”, I kept having flashbacks to Stephen King’s It. *shiver*
Today’s Kudos go out to Lucas Bryant for breaking the hearts of many Haven fans throughout the episode but especially when he begged Audrey/Lexie to kill him. His desperation to find Audrey was so powerful that you could feel how torn he was to not be able to do anything about it while searching for the kids.
Things lost: 3 kids, Jennifer being able to hear the Barn, and Audrey
Things found: 3 kids, Jennifer being able to hear the Barn, and Lexie
- Nathan: To me, nothing was more symbolic of Lucas’ performance than his conversation with Jordan.
- Jordan: “We’re getting used to cleaning up your messes.”
- Lucas: “17”
- Jordan: “What?
- Lucas: “17. That’s how many people have died because of the troubles since I shot Howard. These two kids die, that’s 19 lives Jordan, not just messes. And I think about them with every breath I take. So you know what? I will find Audrey, she will kill me. The troubles will end. And then I won’t have to think anymore about all the pain that I’ve caused this town.
Or how about his conversation with the Troubled father?
“I lost a son. I might even be responsible for his death but denying that it’s my fault doesn’t help. All I can do is move on.” – Nathan
Ummm. Yeah, Nathan is not in the happiest of places right now. And he is so desperate to find Audrey that he doesn’t think straight. We all need someone like Duke (Eric Balfour) in our life to give it to us straight. Someone who knows when to tell us things and when to keep some things to ourself.
And that last scene after the Audrey/Lexie returned takes the cake for making the entire fandom feel their heart break. From Nathan checking on Audrey/Lexie to Duke’s broken look that Nathan was actually going to go through with it to Nathan saying goodbye & begging Audrey/Lexie to kill him to Audrey/Lexie saying she wasn’t Audrey.
I mean well done Speed Weed (writer for this episode) for blowing our minds.
Jennifer & Duke: These two are great together on screen. Duke trying to take her mind off of hearing the barn so she could actually hear the barn was genius. I really enjoyed watching their efforts. 🙂
Lexie & William: There is so much that can be dissected from what William said in the Barn. I mean Lexie says it all with, “I don’t get why everybody else disappeared and you didn’t. Who are you William?” YES! Who are you William? Why are you only allowed to help her?
New York Comic Con: Who’s going?! I will be there with bells on. I’ll be there Saturday too considering that’s when I thought the Haven panel was going to be held. :p I mean really eOne, a Thursday? How come NYCC doesn’t get cool scavenger hunts or autograph sessions or parties and things like that? Only thing I’ve heard so far is that Richard Donat and John Dunsworth (Vince & Dave) will be moderating. That should be fun. I wonder who from the cast will be coming out. Should be fun! I’ll see some of you Havenites there. 😀
Anyway, the usual wrap-up below.
Aimee (Go Navy!)
- What is that book Dave was reading?!
- What is “the Room?”
- Why was Dave so determined they not open the door? Even if Audrey could die, he said no! For why Dave?
- Nathan never uses a doorknob does he?
- Dwight’s reaction to Nathan kicking the door in – Perfect
- Mentions of Dwights daughter, Lizzie was awesome
- Duke inserting his foot in mouth when telling Nathan we’ll all live happily ever after forgetting he is going to die
- Douen’s are crazy good masters of deception!
- I can’t listen to Ring around the Rosie anymore without thinking about this creepy laughter :p
- Nathan IS Audrey! He gets better and better at helping the Troubled
- Poor Dave – He was Jordan’d
- William said, “Don’t worry, we’ll all be fine and I’m sure we’ll meet again.” Who is we?!?!
- Lexie: “If I make it to the other side, who will I be?”
William: “Whoever you most want to be.”
- Dwight: “I’ll call for a search warrant.”
Nathan: “Well, let me know when you get it.”
- “What don’t you suck at?” – Duke
- “We will find Audrey, and we’ll all live happ…you know what I mean.” – Duke
- “Your husband just decided it’s time to adopt.” – Dwight
- “You make a leap of faith.” – William
- “Opening that door could unleash powers far beyond our control.” – Dave
- Nathan: “You made it.”
Audrey/Lexie: “What are you doing?”
Nathan: “The Troubles haven’t ended. I know what Howard told you. Killing me is the only way now.”
*Nathan kisses her goodbye.*
Nathan: “Please. Please, Audrey.”
Audrey/Lexie: “I’m not killing anyone…certainly not someone I’ve never met before.
Audrey/Lexie: “And who is Audrey? My name is Lexie.”